skip to main content

Special Education

Special Education Services

The Committee on Special Education (CSE) arranges for special services for children with disabilities.  These include children with learning disabilities, emotional disabilities, visual and hearing impairments, speech delay, orthopedic disabilities, health problems which impede learning, mental retardation and autism.  A parent, staff member or physician may refer a child (including one who attends a non-public private school) to the CSE.  The CSE will then arrange to have the child evaluated and invite the parents to the CSE meeting to discuss the evaluation results and plan for any special services that may be needed. 

Districts also are required to establish a Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE).  The CPSE accepts referrals on children aged three to five and arranges to have the children evaluated at an authorized preschool selected by the parents.  If the child has special needs, he or she may be recommended to attend a special preschool or receive special services at a regular nursery school.  The SPSE is responsible for making these plans but, unlike services to school-aged children, the cost of the services is borne by the state and county, not the district.

If you have any questions or believe that your child may require special services, please call the office of the Executive Director of Special Education and Pupil Personnel Services, at 674-6313.